A collection of resources not on my site that I use. I believe in my ideas, but there are many writers better than me. Many of them share their advice online. I link to what I feel are the best, but I can’t see everything. If you find something useful, please, let me know about it: email@example.com
Advice from GOOD authors with minimal overlap
- – A two part article with advice from 20+ older authors ( Kurt Vonnegut, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, etc.) The non-fiction and business writing advice at the bottom is also very good.
- – Another two part article with advice from more contemporary authors (Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Franzen, Joyce Carol Oates, etc.)
Blogs I read on writing
- Steven Pressfield’s Writing Wednesdays — This is the only blog I regularly read for writing advice. Pressfield wrote The War of Art, one of my favorite books on writing. It seems like everyone praises this book as their favorite or one of the best, but that’s because it really is that good. It’s short, to the point, and profound.
Resources for specific topics
- Explainers Shoot High. Aim Low! — One of the best articles I’ve read on combating The Delusion Factor.
- – David Mamet’s Master Class Memo to Writers of the Unit — one of the best pieces I’ve read on conflict. Brilliant and to the point.